Calling all coconut lovers! Give these Chocolate Dipped Macaroons a try for your next baking session. They are so quick and easy to make.
For Easter, I decided to add some chocolate eggs as decoration. To finish, I normally use a dark chocolate which is flavoured with orange. I find it is perfect for dipping. I think the flavours from the chocolate really complement the coconut. You can experiment with whatever chocolate that you like and can tolerate.
Low FODMAP Tip
The flaked coconut used in the recipe contains sorbitol. A portion of 30g is low FODMAP. If you are sensitive to sorbitol, I would advise to stick to one macaroon per serving. All the other ingredients are low FODMAP.
Difficulty Rating: Very easy
Prep/ Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serves: Makes 16 macaroons
- Mixing bowl
- Baking tray
- Baking paper
- Saucepan with water and bowl (a “bain-marie” for melting the chocolate)
- 4 egg whites (large)
- 385g flaked coconut
- 135g sugar
- 50g gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- A pinch of salt
- Dark Orange Chocolate 80% cocoa (pick a chocolate that suits you)
- Chocolate eggs
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan oven)/360 ˚F
- Line your baking tray with baking paper (this makes sure the macaroons don’t stick)
- Whisk the eggs whites until it forms a stiff peak (it’s ready if you can hold the bowl upside down over your head!)
- Mix the sugar, flour, salt and coconut until fully blended
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg whites and mix well
- Add a few drops of the vanilla extract to the mixture
- Use a spoon to divide into even sized slightly flattened balls and place on a baking tray. If you plan on using chocolate eggs to decorate, make a small dip in the centre. I prefer to add the chocolate eggs after baking
- Place in the oven for 11-13 minutes (depending on your oven). You know they are ready when some of the coconut starts to turn golden brown
- Carefully remove from oven and allow to cool on a baking tray
- Place a saucepan with water over a medium heat. Carefully place a large bowl into the saucepan. Make sure the bowl is not touching the water
- Add the chocolate and heat gently until fully melted
- Once cooled, you can dip the base of each macaroon into the melted chocolate
- Once the chocolate is dry, add the chocolate eggs for an extra special treat over Easter.
FoodMarble AIRE is the world’s first personal hydrogen breath tester. It is a pocket-sized breath analysis device. It helps people with chronic digestive issues determine the foods that work best with their digestive system.
Read user reviews of FoodMarble AIRE on Trustpilot
To learn more about FoodMarble, visit foodmarble.com or follow us on