Garlic is high in fructans, so it’s difficult for people who are sensitive to FODMAPs to digest. However, it’s also full of flavour and features in a lot of recipes, so it can be difficult to adjust to a life without garlic. Thankfully for us though, FODMAPs are water soluble, not fat soluble, which means you can infuse an oil with garlic flavour without adding FODMAPs. You can then use this oil in your recipes to add a delicious garlic taste without adding to your digestive issues! It’s very easy to do and just requires a few simple steps.
Difficulty Rating: Easy
Prep/ Cooking Time: 20 minutes, although you can leave the garlic resting in the oil for longer for a stronger flavour
Serves: Creates approximately 500ml garlic-flavoured oil
NB: Make sure you keep the pieces of garlic large, so that they are easy to remove after infusing the oil
- 500ml neutral oil, e.g. rapeseed/canola oil, grapeseed oil etc. Use an oil that comes in a glass bottle so you can put the flavoured oil back into the bottle (using a funnel). Otherwise you can pour the flavoured oil into a glass jar
- 1 garlic clove
- Separate and peel the garlic cloves
- Chop each clove in half. You want to keep the pieces large so that they are easy to strain out afterwards, so don’t grate, mince or too finely chop the garlic cloves
- Place the garlic and oil in a saucepan and place over a low to medium heat
- Once the oil has begun to bubble turn off the heat and leave the garlic in the oil while it cools down. This will deepen the flavour
- Once the oil is cool enough, strain through a sieve into a jug/ jar
- If you have a funnel, pour the flavoured oil back into the bottle. Otherwise pour the flavoured oil into a glass jar with a lid. This oil should keep for a couple of weeks.
FoodMarble AIRE is the world’s first personal hydrogen breath tester. It is a pocket-sized breath analysis device. It helps people with chronic digestive issues determine the foods that work best with their digestive system. To learn more about FoodMarble, visit foodmarble.com