Muhammara is a Middle Eastern dip made of roasted red peppers and walnuts. It’s the perfect addition to a mezze platter or as a party snack. It’s full of flavour and is always a winner with guests. I recommend serving your Muhammara Dip with FODMAP-free crudités such as carrot and cucumber sticks but it also pairs perfectly with crackers or warm pita bread.
Red bell peppers are really nutritious and are brimming with vitamin C – just 1 cup of red peppers will provide you with over 150% of your daily vitamin C needs! But most importantly they are FODMAP-free. Bell peppers are the only member of the capsicum family that don’t have capsaicin in it (the thing that gives peppers their spicy kick) so they are easier on the digestive system too. If you’re not a fan of spice, or your digestive system doesn’t like it, then you can remove the chilli flakes from this recipe.
Muhammara Dip Recipe
Difficulty Rating: Easy
Prep/Cooking Time: 45 mins
Serves: This recipe serves 4-6
- 3 red bell peppers (halved and deseeded)
- 60g (2oz) roasted walnuts
- 50g gluten-free or sourdough breadcrumbs
- 1 TBSP pomegranate molasses
- 2 TBSP garlic-infused olive oil
- Juice from a wedge of lemon
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 TBSP chilli flakes (optional)
- Salt and extra virgin olive oil to finish
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Place the red peppers on a baking tray. Roast them until they’re black and blistered – roughly 35 minutes.
- Place the blackened peppers in a bowl and cover the bowl with cling film for a couple of minutes. The steam makes it much easier to peel the skin off the peppers.
- Peel the skin off the red peppers and roughly chop them.
- Add everything but the walnuts and olive oil to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Then add the walnuts and with the motor running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Blend until almost smooth – I like to keep a little bit of texture.
- To serve, drizzle with some extra virgin olive oil and crushed walnuts.
FoodMarble AIRE is the world’s first personal hydrogen breath tester. It is a pocket-sized breath analysis device. It helps people with chronic digestive issues determine the foods that work best with their digestive system.
Read user reviews of FoodMarble AIRE on Trustpilot
To learn more about FoodMarble, visit foodmarble.com or follow us on our social media channels