This is a delicious rice bowl packed with flavour, and made with ingredients you probably already have in your cupboard. All low FODMAP, so digestive discomfort shouldn’t be a worry. This makes a great lunch, or if you add some fresh vegetables – or a fried egg on top like I did, a filling and well-balanced dinner.
Tinned tuna and rice are two staples that are great for stocking your food stores. Tinned tuna is a tasty lean protein with a long shelf life. Rice is low FODMAP, and is usually sold in large 5kg or 10kg bags in your local Asian market. Combining soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and sesame oil makes a simple base for an Asian style marinade/dressing. Many of us already have a bottle of soy sauce hidden in our cupboards, and oils and vinegars will last a while in storage. The toasted sesame seeds add low FODMAP flavour. Sesame seeds have a great shelf life, as long as they are properly stored.
Difficulty Rating: Easy
Prep/ Cooking Time: 35 minutes
Serves: 1 (double up the ingredients to cook for two or to keep some for leftovers)
- ½ cup of rice
- 1 tin of tuna (ideally stored in brine, but oil will work too)
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon of ground ginger
- Optional toppings: roasted peanuts, Tabasco, torn up sheets of nori, a fried egg
Alternatives if you don’t have everything above or don’t like some of the ingredients!
- Cooked chicken, canned chickpeas or canned salmon can be used instead of canned tuna
- You could crush some roasted peanuts (or your other favourite nut) over the rice instead of sesame seeds
- If you don’t have sesame oil you could use another flavourful oil like walnut oil, or garlic-flavoured olive oil
- If you don’t have rice wine vinegar, you could try another type of vinegar or an acid like lime juice. Mix and match flavours to see what suits you best!
- Wash the rice under cold water and cook according to the instructions on the packet.
- Toast the sesame seeds on a dry pan, until slightly darkened and fragrant.
- Combine the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil and ground ginger to make the dressing.
- Drain the tuna and with a fork stir it and dressing through the rice.
- Top with toasted sesame seeds and any other additional toppings you would like.
FoodMarble AIRE is the world’s first personal hydrogen breath tester. It is a pocket-sized breath analysis device. It helps people with chronic digestive issues determine the foods that work best with their digestive system. To learn more about FoodMarble, visit foodmarble.com or follow us on